As Chartered Physiotherapists, we are well placed to:
- Explain medically the best forms of exercise
- Motivate you to exercise regularly
- Create personalised exercise regimes for you
Exercise has always been a key foundation stone for physiotherapy. Treatment is generally just the start of your recovery. From the very beginnings of our profession, physiotherapists have been the motivators for sometimes painful, initial exercises but always ongoing fitness and physical health.
- Exercise performed on a regular basis is far more beneficial than bursts of extreme exercise done irregularly
- Research shows that physical activity can boost self-esteem, mood, sleep quality and energy. It also reduces the risk of you suffering from stress, depression, dementia and Alzheimer’ s disease.
Whatever your age, there is strong scientific evidence that being physically active can help you lead a healthier and happier life. It can reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer by up to 50% and lower your risk of early death by up to 30%.
While we will explain and show you essential home exercises in your treatment sessions, we recommend that you continue to exercise with us in our 1:1 exercise classes, small exercise classes and 1:3 Pilates equipment sessions (please see below, too).
Most of our classes are run by senior Chartered Physiotherapists. This ensures that you can continue to receive expert advice as you exercise. You can also exercise in the knowledge that your instructor will understand your limitations and help protect you from working beyond these – meaning you will be less likely to strain tissues and suffer any break in your exercise routine.
In order to help you build on your recovery, we have established a series of exercise classes that can help motivate you to build on your recovery. Many of our patients have continued to join our classes for many years.
Our 1:3 Pilates Classes
- Have you thought of starting Pilates but don’t want to join a big group in a gym?
- Or are you recovering from an injury and need specialist advice while strengthening your core muscles?
- Or would you simply like to start doing Pilates in a small group with expert supervision?
- With a very small group of maximum 3 attendees and taught by a Chartered Physiotherapist with Pilates training, these classes offer a circuit of exercises, both mat based and on the Pilates equipment, working on core strength and movement control.
- The exercises are individually tailored to your needs so that you can improve in the areas you benefit most from.
- 1:3 classes can be a good addition to a course of physiotherapy to help your rehabilitation, and the small size allows for better supervision and instruction to help achieve good technique and prevent injuries.
- Even if you have never done Pilates before this is a good way to start it under the guidance of a Physiotherapist, who will understand and respect any injuries or limitations and guide you on your way to sustainable improvement.
WHERE The Westminster Physiotherapy and Pilates Centre
COST £35/ session
DURATION 60 mins
Booking essential, as places are limited
Please check our website for timetables.
9 Lower Grosvenor Place, Belgravia, SW1W OEN
Tel: 0207 834 3700